Tsholofelo Msimango pictured at her home in Brakpan, near Johannesburg. Credit: TB Alliance/Jonathan Torgovnik
By Ed Holt
BRATISLAVA, Oct 20 2025 (IPS)
When Tsholofelo Msimango joined a small trial of a new drug regimen for tuberculosis (TB) treatment a decade ago, she had no idea whether the medicines she was about to be given would help her.
But having already spent six months in hospital after developing extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB), the most lethal form of the disease, which at the time was barely curable—three-quarters of people with XDR-TB were thought to die before they even received a diagnosis and only a third of those who got treatment survived—Msimango decided she had little to lose.
“I had my doubts, of course, as to whether it would have any success,” she tells IPS. “But to be honest, at that point all I could think about was that it might make me better, that I might be able to get out of hospital and go home. I was ready to take that chance. I’m glad I did. That trial saved my life—I am sure of it,” she says.
Msimango, who was 21 at the time, from Brakpan in South Africa, was one of 109 participants in the Nix-TB trial of a new drug regimen that ran across three sites in the country between 2015 and 2017.
Until then, typical treatment for the most severe drug-resistant forms of TB would involve patients taking daily doses of a potent cocktail of pills—dozens in some cases—as well as injections for sometimes as long as two years.
The side effects of such regimens can be horrific—deafness, kidney failure and psychosis have been reported—and there are high rates of treatment drop-out, leading not only to a worsening of the patient’s own condition but also to the further spread of the worst strains of the disease among communities.
The Nix-TB trial tested an all-oral six-month drug regimen, which was a combination of the drugs pretomanid, bedaquiline and linezolid (BPaL).
Its results—the regimen had a 90 percent treatment success rate —werehailed as groundbreaking by experts, and the trial proved to be a landmark moment in the fight against the world’s most deadly infectious disease.
Msimango says that until she joined the trial, she had been taking “lots of pills and having injections.” The latter, she says, had stopped working against the disease and was leaving her legs completely numb.
But not long into the trial, she noticed a change. Before the trial she had struggled to keep weight on because of her illness and treatment.
“It was when I started to gain weight that I began to think that the treatment was working. We had check-ups, including for weight, every week and when I saw myself putting on weight, I knew then that I was getting better,” she says.
By the end of the trial, she says she felt like a different person.
Tests showed she was free of TB.
“Of course I was excited about the fact that I could finally stop taking medicines, and because I was then healthy and free of TB and could live a normal life again, but I was also excited about the fact that I was going to be able to finally leave hospital after a year and go home.
“I had already been in hospital for six months before the trial started, and then another six months for the trial, and it was hard being away from home for a year. The hospital was a long way from where I lived so it was very hard for my mother to come and visit me and bring me things,” she says.
Tsholofelo Msimango and her son at her home in Brakpan, near
Johannesburg. Credit: TB Alliance/Jonathan Torgovnik
But while now healthy and free of TB, the disease has continued to play a large role in Msimango’s life.
She decided she wanted to help others affected by TB. Today she is a TB community advocate and educator and helps to recruit people for medical studies.
“I would recommend to anyone that if they get the chance to take part in a study like the one that I got to take part in, that they should go for it,” she says.
Now a mother to a young boy, she says she speaks to him about what she went through and about TB so that he understands about the disease and the risks it poses.
“I talk to my son about what happened to me, why I was in hospital and why I now work in the TB community. I tell my son and his friends about TB and what can be done to stop its spread and how they can help, for instance, by covering their mouths when they cough,” she says.
“Actually, I tell my story a lot because I hope it might help other people,” she adds.
Another participant in the trial, Bongiswa Mdaka, says the same.
“I talk to people all the time about TB and my experience with it—I’m very open about it. If I see someone has been coughing for more than two weeks, I tell them about the disease and about getting tested and treated as early as possible,” she told IPS.
Speaking from her home in Vereeniging, Gauteng, Mdaka, who was 27 when she started the trial, said that, like Msimango, it changed her life.
“The trial was a lifesaver for me. It not only changed my life but saved it. It gave me a second chance. Ten years ago, before the trial, the situation for people with XDR-TB was not good. I was diagnosed with MDR-TB and when my condition continued to get worse, I was hospitalized. I was in the hospital for three days and they told me that no, I don’t have MDR-TB; I have ZDR-TB, the worst I could have. It was like hearing a death sentence.
Tsholofelo Msimango’s late mother, Zeldah Nkosi. She says her mother was a “pillar of support” during her time when she had TB. Credit: TB Alliance
“So when the people doing the trial came to me, it seemed like a godsend. I had no major expectations—I just hoped that I would get better. Today I am healthy and free of TB. I’m strong. I have a family and a normal life. Life is good,” she said.
Speaking to experts who were involved in the trial, it becomes clear that going into it, no one knew how important it would eventually prove to be in the future of TB treatment.
Dr. Pauline Howell managed the patients during the Nix-TB trial at the Sizwe Tropical Diseases Hospital in Johannesburg, where Msimango was a patient.
“Prior to the Nix trial we knew that treatment was too long, too toxic, worked in less than half of people afflicted with TB, and in those diagnosed with XDR TB (per the pre-2021 definition), only 20 percent were still alive after 5 years. I was still junior in clinical trials in 2015, but it was clear to everyone that knew anything about XDR-TB that replacing the extended treatment, which included at least 6 months of injectables, and all the other drugs (the kitchen sink approach) with just three drugs made us more than a little anxious,” she told IPS.
But like many of the trial’s participants, she saw relatively quickly how well the treatment was working.
“When trial participants started telling newly admitted patients about this trial and brought them to the research site before we had had a chance to speak with them, that was speaking loudly. When certain patients, who had been admitted for over two years, were suddenly starting to respond to TB treatment and culture convert, it was wonderful to celebrate with them, Howell, who is now Clinical Research Site Leader at Sizwe Tropical Disease Hospital, said. “When patients were relocating from the Eastern Cape to Gauteng just to get access to the trial, we knew this was the treatment we’d also want for ourselves and our loved ones.”
“There are definitely a few [trial participants] who may not have survived without this treatment, but for the majority, they were able to get back to their lives faster, potentially cause fewer onward infections and suffer less loneliness and other repercussions of having drug-resistant TB,” she added.
However, while the trial had an immediate effect on its participants, its results, which suggested the enormous potential of the regimen, paved the way for BPaL to revolutionize TB treatment.
“I had no idea that this trial would be the first step towards changing the treatment for drug-resistant tuberculosis worldwide,” Howell said.
“It’s good to remember that although TB is deadly, it is curable, and the side effects of the BPaL/M regimen are common but predictable and manageable. A decade ago, patients put an end to rental agreements for their homes, quit their jobs, told their partners to move on and their families took out funeral policies. These days, patients sit in front of me and say, ‘I have been here for two weeks already! I need to get home and back to my life’. It makes my head spin how much has changed, partially due to the Nix trial,” she added.
In 2022, the World Health Organization (WHO) endorsed BPaL with or without another drug, moxifloxacin (M), and BPaL(M) is today the preferred treatment option for drug-resistant TB.
According to data from the TB Alliance, the nonprofit group that developed pretomanid, BPaL and BPaL-based regimens, they treat about 75 percent of the overall number of drug-resistant TB cases treated annually. This number is projected to soon reach 90 percent.
Meanwhile, the group says, the regimens have already saved more than 11,000 lives and USD 100 million for health systems globally and by 2034 are expected to save an additional 192,000 lives and health systems almost USD 1.3 billion.
In some countries classed as having high-burden TB epidemics, they have already altered the TB landscape significantly.
“In South Africa, which adopted the BPaL/M guidelines in Sep 2023, we are seeing a single-digit percentage lost to follow-up for the first time in the history of our TB programme,” she says.
But the regimen’s potential may be in danger of not being fully fulfilled as richer nations cut foreign aid budgets, impacting funding that has traditionally helped support disease and other healthcare programmes in poor countries.
“The eternal challenge with TB is how closely it is tied to lack of access, poverty, substance use, being undomiciled and general lack of funding to overcome these challenges… Unfortunately, as long as there is poverty and lack of access, political will and funding, TB will continue to live side by side with us,” said Howell.
“Some people now can’t get their medications because of these cuts,” said Msimango. “They’re costing people’s lives.”
Note: This article is brought to you by IPS Noram in collaboration with INPS Japan and Soka Gakkai International in consultative status with ECOSOC.
IPS UN Bureau Report
Follow @IPSNewsUNBureauExcerpt:
Before the successful Nix-TB trial, which took place in South Africa from 2015 to 2017, patients with extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB) had to follow a complicated treatment plan for the deadliest form of the disease.Srebrenica, 30 ans après : histoire, justice et mémoire Violences et atrocités de masse aux XXe et XXIe siècles | Paris
dimanche 19 octobre 2025 Horaires : 14h et 16h Lieu : Auditorium Edmond J.Safra
Participants : 100 maximum 5,00 €
La chute du bloc soviétique, à la fin des années 1980, entraîne la résurgence des nationalismes en Europe de l'Est et l'éclatement de la Yougoslavie en plusieurs pays. L'ex‑Yougoslavie est aussitôt secouée par un conflit, le plus long et le plus meurtrier (…)
Une vive polémique agite actuellement les réseaux sociaux en Algérie suite à la diffusion d’une vidéo impliquant d’anciens résidents du Village d’enfants SOS de Draria, […]
L’article Affaire des enfants SOS de Draria : le Croissant-Rouge algérien rétablit les faits est apparu en premier sur .
La télévision nationale a annoncé la retransmission du match Colombe – MC Alger sur la chaine TV6. Les supporters mouloudéens pourront le suivre en direct […]
L’article Colombe – MC Alger : Le match en direct sur la télévision nationale est apparu en premier sur .
Actuellement à Shenzhen en Chine, une délégation d’une vingtaine d’étudiants algériens, représentant diverses universités, grandes écoles et instituts professionnels, prend part au prestigieux programme « Huawei […]
L’article 20 étudiants algériens sélectionnés pour le programme « Huawei Seeds For the Future 2025 » en Chine est apparu en premier sur .
Malgré le choc émotionnel provoqué par la disparition de Sidy Diakhaté, Loto Popo a effectué une entrée triomphale de championnat s'imposant à ASVO FC.
Trois buts à zéro, c'est le score final de la rencontre entre Loto Popo et ASVO FC. Cette victoire en début de championnat est dédiée Sidy Diakhaté, joueur sénégalais enlevé à leur affection.
A travers un message, le club a salué le courage et la combativité du jeune affectueusement appelé « le Vaillant ». « Cette victoire, c'est pour toi Sidy. Tu resteras à jamais l'une de nos flammes les plus ardentes », a publié le club sur sa page Facebook.
Le joueur défunt incarnait selon le club, le symbole d'un joueur talentueux, engagé et humaniste.
F. A. A.
D'importants dégâts matériels ont été enregistrés au terme d'une course poursuite engagée contre deux transporteurs de l'essence de contrebande à Agogo, une localité de la commune de Sèmè-Podji, dans la nuit du samedi 18 octobre 2025.
Le transport de l'essence de contrebande a encore provoqué un incendie à Sèmè-Podji ce samedi 18 octobre 2025. Deux motocyclettes et un véhicule ont été entièrement consumés. Et ce, suite à la course-poursuite engagée par un militaire contre deux contrebandiers.
L'homme en uniforme a tenté d'interpeller deux suspects qui seraient en pleine opération de convoyage de l'essence de contrebande. Il s'est alors mis à les poursuivre.
Lors de la course poursuite engagée contre eux, l'un des contrebandiers percute un véhicule et tombe. Une altercation surgit entre les trois hommes. Alors qu'ils se disputaient, les flammes se déclarent et consument les deux motocyclettes et le véhicule. Un fil électrique de la SBEE alimentant un compteur, aurait été également endommagé.
La Police et les sapeurs-pompiers ont été alertés. Une enquête devrait être ouverte pour situer les responsabilités du drame.
F. A. A.
L'Alliance pour la Renaissance et le Progrès a effectué sa première sortie ce samedi à Cotonou une activité décisive dans sa marche vers la victoire à l'élection présidentielle d'avril 2026 du duo de candidats WADAGNI-TALATA. Il s'agit de la session de validation du mode de fonctionnement et du plan d'actions du mouvement. Cette rencontre a réuni les membres de la coordination nationale, des commissions spécialisées et les représentants des coordinations départementales.
Dans son mot d'ouverture, le Président du bureau national provisoire, Docteur Samson Tonakpon DOSSOU a expliqué que l'Alliance pour la Renaissance et le Progrès est « un mouvement citoyen, dynamique et patriotique, né de la volonté de femmes et d'hommes convaincus que le développement durable du Bénin passe par la bonne gouvernance, l'unité nationale et le mérite. Ce mouvement est présent sur tout le territoire national à travers des coordinations départementales, communales et d'arrondissements.
Il regroupe des acteurs issus de divers horizons, jeunes, femmes, cadres, entrepreneurs, artisans, agriculteurs, tous unis autour d'un même idéal : faire triompher la compétence, l'intégrité et l'efficacité dans la gestion publique ».
Mouvement crée depuis plusieurs mois, l'ARP est un mouvement de conviction qui se singularise par son approche de proximité, structurée et orientée résultats. Elle défend également les acquis de la dynamique inculquée par le Président Patrice TALON depuis 2026, pour le renouveau économique et social du Bénin. C'est pour maintenir le cap que le mouvement a porté son choix sur le duo WADAGNI -TALATA. « Dans ce processus, Romuald WADAGNI a joué un rôle central. En tant que ministre de l'Économie et des Finances, il a su allier compétence, rigueur et vision stratégique pour renforcer la discipline budgétaire, améliorer la gestion des ressources publiques, instaurer un climat de confiance propice à l'investissement et soutenir la mise en œuvre de réformes structurelles dans des secteurs clés comme l'énergie, les infrastructures et l'urbanisme.
Grâce à cette gouvernance, le Bénin a atteint en 2024 un budget historique de 3 199 milliards de FCFA et une croissance économique historique de 7,5 %, avec des retombées concrètes sur la vie des citoyens » a précisé Larissa AITCHEME MONTCHO, responsable à la Jeunesse, Genre et Inclusion.
Les interventions des différents participants ont permis d'améliorer le projet de plan d'actions et de l'adopter, à l'unanimité par acclamation.
A la fin des travaux, le Président du bureau provisoire, le docteur Samson Tonakpon DOSSOU s'est réjoui de la « bonne ambiance dans laquelle les travaux se sont déroulés » avant d'inviter les camarades à rester mobilisées pour le lancement de l'ARP prévue dans quelques semaines.
Merci pour la question.
L'Alliance pour la Renaissance et le Progrès (ARP) a élaboré une stratégie d'action nationale structurée autour de trois grands axes pour accompagner efficacement le Duo WADAGNI–TALATA vers la victoire en 2026. Ces axes selon son Secrétaire Général Fabrice DEGBEDJI. Il s'agit de : la mobilisation citoyenne et territoriale, la communication et la valorisation des acquis du régime et la formation et l'engagement des jeunes et des femmes
En résumé, notre ambition est claire : Informer, convaincre et mobiliser pour transformer la confiance populaire en une victoire éclatante du Duo WADAGNI–TALATA en 2026, a conclu le Président provisoire de l'ARP ; Docteur Samson Tonakpon DOSSOU.